Thursday, June 4, 2009

#11 & 12 (WEEK 5) Play around

Explore any site from the Web 2.0 awards list

Looking at the Seomoz.org Web 2.0 Awards shows an amazing number of online tools for just about anything you want to do.

At the moment I'm very interested into Collaborative Writing and Word Processing as a priority. Taking a look at Google Docs and White board. They look like the best bet for some of the activities I'm hoping to become involved in. All I need now is to find some one to try it out with. If any of you out there are users of the fore mentioned applications drop me a line and we can give it a try.

There's not a lot to say about any of the applications other then to say I am using Flickr and Picnik to store and edit photos for downloading to The blog etc.

The Rollyo

The Rollyo looks like a great tool that enables you to home in on specific sites to search their data bases. The application allows a link to your personal search engine to be placed onto your browser tool bar for easy access.

The interface is a little confusing after you have installed it into your browser. Clicking on the icon takes you to a starter page ,then you need to scroll down to find the links to your Rollyo home page.

It take a bit of playing around to get it set-up but then things seem to work well after you have chosen the sites you want to search.

I have managed to find about 20 sites that store information on my subject matter, computing in education,in-service and pre-service teaching. The nice thing about it is that you can create as many search engines as you like . As you discover new sites to search you can modify your existing engines.

As I work through this tutorial I keep experimenting with different ways to present my work into the Blog. This time I'm writing up this blog entry with my FREE word processing application called OpenOffice. Its compatible with Microsoft Office and other WP applications.

This time I'm trying the export to HTML to paste into My Blog to see how it works.

PS

It works but takes some editing. Once you edit out the unwanted text, the blog editer will help weed out tags that the are not allowed. I will test a few more conversions that may come in handy and save time when you want to post list et.al.

George

No comments:

Post a Comment