Tuesday, June 9, 2009

#20, 21 & 22 Week 9:


Podcasts, Video & Downloadable Audio

#20. Discover YouTube and a few sites that allow users to upload and sharevideos.

I viewed the Videos:

Introducing the Book
Web 2.0
Library 2.0 Manifesto
March of the Librarians
Jack O'Connell Goes Back to School

Loved them! Great little send up on the help desk.

By chance a few days ago I came across the following video clip and It upset me to no end. How can the police manage to get away with this kind of thing. It shows me that there is still a long way to go before things like I viewed in this clip come to an end.


Once again its a person of color that is beaten and for what we may never know. The man made on hostel moves I could see from the tape and what could he have said to cause that kind of a reaction from a police officer.

What the strange thing is, why would a police officer care weather the man's jacked was zipped or not. Who knows perhaps its breaking the law for a black man to be on the street without zipping up his jacket.

What ever the the reason nothing can justify that attack and arrest of that man.I find that I'm torn on weather I like or dislike YouTube. On the plus side a number of very informative clips manage to find there way into the light of day that might never have made it due to government censorship or some other means of cover up.

On the down side the stupid thing some people do for there five minutes of fame only to encourage others to to the same only to be one up on the other.

Woooooohh!!! there lad Don't get carried away move on to the next 'thing”. Your nearing the end of the tutorial.

As for potential there are certainly a large number of items on YouTube that are worth having in a library blog.

Now for inserting the video into your Blog there is an adjustment you will need to make so that the window will fit into the column of your blog. The with of the column is 420 pixels wide.

The Windows from YouTube vary in width. The original size of the one I inserted into this column looked like this: [object width="560" height="340] To adjust it to fit into the column it was necessary to change the width and hight to; [object width="420" height="261].

NOTE: there two places in the code that need to be changed to work properly.

#21 Podcasts (You don’t need an iPod!)

Problems here most of the links were dead or web pages missing. Can't seem to make any working connections to your recommended links.

Not having sucsess I goggled “podcast” and found a collection at podcast.com. Click on the buttons below to visit a collection of educational podcast and view a podcast on An Introduction to Project Learning



#22 eBooks and Audio eBooks

What can I say? Not being a Librarian I didn't have a clue that any collection of this extent existed, simply for the band width required to download it. What a wonderful collection. I can see that I will be reading and collecting a library I never dreamed I could have to treasure.

I have included links below to eBook sites so that any one reading this Blog will also have the opportunity to take advantage of the collections of clasic books.






1 comment: